#WTF is Detox Water and Does it Make You Skinny?
Detox water. Seriously? We literally had no idea that was a thing until I was researching how to cure a hangover (because this weekend was my birthday and sometimes you need practical help not the smug “just don’t drink too much” advice...right?).
So what is detox water and will it make you lose weight?
Some health coaches and gurus will claim that detox water has cleansing and flushing properties that help rid your body of toxins and gunk which allows you to release fat faster.
Sounds brilliant, doesn’t it? But before you scoff a Big Mac and fries then try to undo that badness with a detox water let’s get this straight. There’s no water drink in the world that will magically undo bad food choices or help you shift the pounds if you’re not eating good food most of the time and moving your body enough.
Stop trying to move mountains by focusing on small rocks and get the big ones sorted first. That’s how you’ll see results. Detox water, whether it works or not is definitely a small rock.
(Side note: the liver plays an important role in cleaning the body of unwanted hormones, waste and pollutants so looking after your liver is going to be the best detox you can do. That means cut the booze back, eat lots of real food and supplement for optimal liver function if needed.)
Now that’s out of the way, let’s talk detox water specifics.
There isn’t much science out there that backs up the large health claims made by detox water advocates, but we think adding flavour to your water if it helps you to drink more of the good stuff is a great thing, and will help stave off water-boredom.
Why not try these flavoured water or ‘detox’ water recipes to make sure that you’re getting in a good 2 litres or so a day.
(On that note, did you know there’s no researched recommended amount for water intake per day? The chances are you’re not getting enough though so aim for 2 litres and work your way up slowly to let your body adjust. Your skin will love you for it.)
5 EASY DETOX WATER RECIPES
1. Slim Down Detox Water
- ½ gallon spring water
- ½ grapefruit, sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 2-3 mint leaves
- ½ lemon, sliced
- ½ lime, sliced
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher.
- Allow the ingredients to chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving. Drink throughout the day or discard after 24 hours.
Per Serving (1 - 8 oz glass) • Calories: 7 • Fat: 0g • Carbohydrates: 1g • Fiber: 1g • Protein: 0g • Sugars: 0g • Sodium: 0mg • Vitamin A: 1% • Vitamin C: 11% • Calcium: 0% • Iron: 0%
2. Detox Spa Water
- 8 C. Water
- 1 Cucumber, Wedged or Sliced
- 1 Lemon, Wedged or Sliced
- 10 Mint Leaves
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and leave to steep overnight in the fridge.
Servings: 2 • Size: 8 Cups of Water • Calories: 51.1 • Fat: 0.5 g • Carb: 13.4 g • Fiber: 3.1 g • Protein: 14.3 g • Sugar: 1.1 g • Sodium: 8 mg
3. Watermelon and Orange Detox Water
- 1/4 watermelon
- Rind from 1 orange
- Slice and scoop out the watermelon, place in a pitcher with the orange rind.
- Top off with filtered water and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Serve over ice.
4. New Year Detox Water
- 1 Large Pitcher of Spring Water
- Peeled Grapefruit
- Sliced Cucumbers
- Sliced Pears
- Fresh Mint
- Combine ingredients into pitcher.
- Allow to chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Drink throughout the day.
- Make a new pitcher each day.
5. Blueberry + Cucumber Infused Water
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 English cucumber
- Thinly slice the cucumber and place in the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add the blueberries and muddle with a wooden spoon, if desired.
- Top with ice water and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Serve over ice.
The Corio Method is a unique, fearlessly fun and effective fitness method and training system that creates a stronger, fitter, leaner and more agile, beautifully balanced physique. Apply now for a complimentary Corio Kickstart Session with our coaches, available globally (value $250) and take the first step towards a new you.